Sunday, February 22, 2009

Not a date but a memory

Ben and I have been talking about why we don't seem to date much. I think it's because to us dinner and a movie isn't that fun. It's just a lot of money spent but not the greatest time spent together. We realized this weekend that our favorite dates are ones that create memories. This Christmas I gave Ben a date for every month of the year. January's was cancelled because we were in Oregon so we did two in February.

The first was a jazz game. One of my favorite things to do. We had great seats given to us by Ben's work and my brother watched Greyson as part of his Christmas gift to us so it was a pretty cheap date but what a memory.


The next date was this past weekend we spent the day bumming around Park City then we went to Stillman Ranch. There we went for a romantic sleigh ride and then went to a lodge for an incredible dinner. We sat with two other couples that we really got along with and we visited and ate until we could hardly move. The whole time we were being serenaded by a man playing guitar and singing. It was such an incredible afternoon. At the end of the evening the man playing guitar dedicated the John Mayer song "her body is a wonderland" to one of the couples with us celebrating their anniversary. We all got up and danced and I sang a few different words in Ben's ears. After all being this pregnant my body really is a wonderland (ha ha). Afterwards we drove to Payson to pick up Greyson and ended up playing games with my parents until midnight. We've so missed having freinds that like to stay up late and play. It was such a fun day and will always be a memory.














We tried potty training two days of living in the bathroom and then all of a sudden he doesn't want anything to do with it. I guess they say not to push so it's on hold again for another month. Any advice would be welcomed.


8 comments:

Rachel said...

Looks fun! As for the potty training, I'm not an expert, but have potty trained quite a few. I bought a couple of cheap shower liners and did it in the living room/family room in front of the tv with snacks and lots of drinks to give them lots of chances to try. Once they had it figured out, we transitioned to the bathroom. I also bribed them with candy or stickers-- depending on the kid-- and a special treat when they pooped in the potty.

Wendy said...

I so miss you guys! You always have the most creative dating ideas!

And you look so cute being so pregnant! Can't believe how close you're getting!

And I did notice that Carlsbad Caverns is not on your list of places to visit. Have you guys given up on us?

Oh, potty training - right there with you! We thought we'd get off easy, as Trevy was announcing, "I poopy" at 18 months. Not so much. Almost a year later, we're still very sporatic about her willingness to sit on the potty for me.

Anonymous said...

SO--glad you had fun dates together. You will come to appreciate them een more once baby #2 arrives.
As far as potty training goes, I think 3 is the magic age for boys. At that point it finally clicks. We used candy as bribery, and that helped alot. Ws started a little too early with Jake, and it just dragged on. Just be prepared to stay for the first week or two--or be prepared for accidents. Good luck!

Tonya said...

I love that you gave Ben one date a month for a Christmas present. That is so thoughtful and what an awesome way to create memories! It's so easy to get stuck in the rut of going tout to dinner and movies for dates. I LOVE going out to dinner, but I really don't love going to movies, so we don't do that very often. Your date sounds amazing and so fun! Potty training advice...go at their pace and rewards are very effective. It was harder to potty train Eli because he wanted to stand up to pee, but if he had to poo he didn't know what to do and let it go on the floor. It didn;t take long though and now he's a pro...except he needs to work on aim, but that's a life long man problem I think:0)

Trent and Amy said...

Such a cute family-Potty training advice..Dads train boys and mom's train girls!!! Do you know what you are having yet?

Wendy said...

You look so cute pregnant!
What a great date, I am jealous- you are right dinner in a movie is just not that fun and costs way too much. I am going to have to start getting a whole lot more creative.

Potty training- probably the worst responsibility of parenting, hate it! Good luck.

1000 Miles in 2021 said...

I started way too early with Leila so I ended up potty training for MONTHS and months-eeek! Not good for our realtionship. Nathan I tried the two day potty thing and it made him more aware, but he didn't start really using it until a few months later. Then he got it and was happy and he has only ever had one or two accidents- night time included. We did use a potty chart and let him get a prize after filling in a full line. Let him be ready- and don't rush it because baby #2 is almost here. GOOD LUCK! I can't beleive your baby will be here next Month! Yay!

Tami said...

You two are always doing fun things together. -A great example for the rest of us who count lunch together as a date because our weekends are filled with kid stuff. It is good to see a smile on your face, you must be feeling well. We miss you.